I’m asking for apologies, now. This is going to be a shorter article than it usually is.
I think I realized my error – that I hadn’t yet written my weekly game day BillsMafia article – as I was standing, doing my business in one of an unfortunately few hidden men’s “lounges” at The Plaza Hotel, in New York City.
Yes, that Plaza Hotel. In my explorations post-business, I did not see either Eloise, or that I’ve-lost-my-family-at-Christmas-time boy.
But I did see the following, as I traveled the streets of Manhattan:
• 12 homeless families
• 11 stretch limousines
• 10 lines for tickets
• 9 couples wearing matching ugly sweaters
• 8 different protests
• 7 against our government
• 6 homes of “original” New York pizza
• 5 taxi accidents
• 4 drunk Santas
• 3 crowded ice rinks
• 2 the-world-is-going-to-end guys
• And a Presidential motorcade holding up traffic for 6 million citizens
But I also saw dozens of people wearing New York Jets apparel, and as many more wearing gear for the Giants. And I asked myself, “Why?”
And I immediately knew the answer. It’s the same reason I was wearing my Bills hat last weekend, even before they beat the Chiefs – reclaiming some of my respect for them.
It’s the same reason why I saw yesterday, a man wearing a Cowboys sweatshirt, a women wearing a Dolphins scarf, and a family wearing Cleveland Browns gear.
It’s what we do. It’s who we are.
They say there are less and less of us NFL fans now.
We’re still here. We’re still watching.
Musings From Around the NFL
Well, it’s time for the weekly Buffalo Bills playoff implications discussions. Let’s begin.
First, obviously, the Bills need to, at least they need to try, to beat the New England Patriots today. This is less about New England losing, as it is about Buffalo winning.
The Bills are also going to need help, starting today.
One of these – either Tennessee or Jacksonville – needs to start losing. Each week. Or, they both do. Each week.
Tennessee is playing against Houston this week, though we don’t really want to see the Texans win too much more, either. The Jags are playing Indianapolis today. Go Colts.
I hate rooting for the Jets, but if they can help Kansas City lose another game that they shouldn’t lose, that would be helpful.
The L. A. Chargers are hot right now, so, go Cleveland.
And, as much as I don’t want the Steelers to win, having them beat the Bengals would help, too.
Well done, Buffalo Bills players & coaching staff.
Of the five things the Bills could have done last week against the Kansas City Chiefs, four of them were something positive, and one was negative. Going into the game, there was a lot of money riding on the negative option.
The negative was that they could have embarrassed themselves, again. A fourth week in a row of embarrassingly pitiful football performance. Fortunately for them, and for us, they did not do that.
What were the other four possible results?
They could have blown the Chiefs out of the water. That didn’t happen.
They could have lost the game narrowly, but looked more respectable than the previous three weeks.
They could have plain out gotten beaten, but not by definition, embarrassingly.
Or, they could have done what they did do…go out and fight hard, improve, and win the game in the end. At the very least, they made all of us have a much more enjoyable week.
Seriously, what do you want me to write here.
Ok, let’s play this game – you pick the outcome. Here are your options:
• A………Bills fans get over-hyped – the Patriots destroy said hype with a 23 play opening drive, getting nine 3rd-and-6-to-go 1st downs (each by gaining 6.5 yards), and ending with a Brady TD throw to Gronk, but only after the Bills spoil keeping them to a field goal with a stupid penalty.
• B………Bills fans get over-hyped – said hype helps propel Buffalo to a dominating performance, building a halftime lead to 28-3. They add to their lead with an exciting 2nd half opening drive to take a commanding 35- 3 lead. What could go wrong? Can you just see Tom Brady’s face after throwing his game winning comeback touchdown to a receiver you have never heard of before?
• C…….The Bills beat the Patriots today. Then next week they lose to the Colts.
There you go, the only possible options for Bills fans. Take your pick.
I’ll go with “A”.
Read me next week.
Editor’s babble: We hope for Option C and the Bills beat the Colts. Thanks to Rick Bates for helping to keep us sane. You can follow Rick on Twitter @MyHammock.